Tuesday, June 28, 2011

New York City

Leland and I took an anniversary trip to NYC. It was quite a site! Unfortuantely the weather was a little crummy. It was drizzly and overcast most to of the time we were there but we made the best of it. I am not the best photographer and just took the most random pictures. But here are just a few.


Times Square. This place is crazy! It is crowded with people all day long. But very fascinating!
Bryant Park. The New York Public library behind it.



part of Central Park. This park is so big we just saw a fraction of it. We met this really nice Swedish couple on our tour bus and walked around the park with them. They were very curiuos about American culture. We exchanged our info just in case we are ever in each other's neighborhoods. Probably the nicest people we met in the city. Everyone else was pretty rude for the most part!


South end of Central Park


Times Square again


Leland and I went to the Broadway show "Wicked". It was amazing! Even better, we got to meet the lead star, Katie Rose Clarke! My friend Ashley (in Missouri) is cousins with the actress who plays Glenda the witch. She told her that we'd be at the show this particular night and so we went to the backstage door to meet her. She truly was phenomenal. She has a beautiful voice and is so talented.....and gorgeous too! Anyway, when she came out to sign autographs, etc. , I told her who I was and she invited us to come back inside the stage door to chat with her. After she signed a few autographs, she came back in to talk with us. I'd have to say seeing the show and meeting her was the hightlight of our trip! If you haven't seen the show, do it!


Grand Centarl Station

This place was packed with people. I think a lot of people were here on their lunch break while we were there.



Statue of Liberty...that you can barely see because it was so overcast. Bummer.


There were so many people crowded around this bull trying to take pictures that I finally told Leland to just move on in and I had to snap a quick picture. We learned pretty quick you have to just be assertive in this city.



New York Stock Exchange


Not the background view we were going for, but the bus pulled up just as the picture was taken. Haha! This is the bus we took a tour on. I recommend doing this if you ever visit the city. They take you all over Manhatten and Brooklyn if you want and show you the city as well as give you the history.



Leland and his friend Robert. Robert lives in NY and is from there. We met up with him one morning. Robert works for Lennox too.



Roof top bar overlooking Empire State Building. I have no idea what this place was called, but would have never found it if Robert hadn't told us about it. It was cool.



Capturing the craziness of NYC. There are mobs of people everywhere you go! I think I smoked a cigarette or 2 while we were there by just inhaling all the second hand smoke around us. And the exhaust from all the traffic was a little overbearing at times. We saw a lot of people pushing babies around in strollers and I couldn't help but think this is no place to raise a child.

New York Public Library
Ghost Busters was filmed here. We weren't allowed to go on the 7 floors underground where all their books were.


The first day we got there, we walked up 5th Ave. all the way to FAO Swartz toy store. It's the one that has the famous huge piano from the movie "Big". We had to buy Kate a toy from this store.


We enjoyed seeing the city and all the landmarks and famous sites. We went to East Village one day because we heard that's where all the locals eat and hang out so we went there for lunch one day which got us out of the crowds a little. We took the subway a few times just to say we did it. It was easy actually and very convienient. We went to a movie one night after dinner. It was nice being able to walk eveywhere we went. I wish we could have seen a live show or a celebrity or soemthing fun like that, but we didn't. I think we're glad we went and saw the city but we probably won't be going again. Haha!

No comments: