Poor little Kate broke her leg today, right above her ankle! And it wasn't even her falling down----it was me!! I was carrying her and we were walking down the stairs to go fix some lunch and all the sudden my foot slipped out from under me and we were airborne for a second and I landed on my bum with her still on my hip....well I guess her little foot behind me got crushed somehow. She started crying right away but I thought it was just because she was scared. But then her cry wasn't the normal fussing cry...it was the "I'm hurt" cry and it went on for 30 minutes without stopping-not something Kate normally does....so I knew something was wrong! I checked her over and noticed her left ankle and foot was swollen and red compared to the other and she wouldn't stand up for me. So off to the pediatrician we went. They took an x-ray and sure enough-she broke it! Those words made my heart stop. I was almost sure she had just sprained it or twisted it. Kids are made of rubber right? She showed me the break on the x-ray and sure enough-she needed a cast. So off to the orthopedic surgeon we went! They were very nice and Kate did great-well except for the 4 x-rays she had to have. She wasn't a fan of laying on that table and having someone hold her hurt leg down. :( She sat in my lap while 2 sweet nurses put her pink cast on. They had to put it all the way up to her thigh with her knee bent so she won't try to walk on it. She'll have that on for 3 weeks and then have that taken off and a smaller one will be put on below her knee for 2 weeks. Thankfully she can walk with the second one on. I can tell these 3 weeks are going to drag! Tonight she was already wanting to pull up on furniture and walk, but was so frustrated that she can't. Thank goodness she can crawl though. The sad part is she was at the point where she was walking (practially running) all over the house and laughing the whole time because it was so fun! And now she's back to crawling. Well, it is what it is and I'm just thankful it wasn't any worse than it was! What an emotional day! Of course I was feeling horrible and responsible, but everyone was so nice and made me feel better today. I think Kate is handling it better than me! We'll keep you posted!
In Texas
4 years ago
2 comments:
Melinda, My mommy heart breaks for you! I know how you feel! Ethan fell off our bed when he was about 6 months old. I was getting dressed and was talking to him and turned for a second. And off he went, Nathan just happened to be walking into the room at that moment and managed to jump a good 10ft to catch him mid air. Thankfully, no damage was done, but I was a complete mess!
Hang in there, she will be good as new in no time!
Oh Melinda - I'm so sorry to hear this story....my heart goes out to you as well! I'll pray these 3 weeks go by fast.
Post a Comment