Friday, June 6, 2008

Finding Out

Pregnancy has been good for the most part. I feel so thankful that I am not having some severe symptoms like some of my other friends who are pregnant right now. I've had some slight nausea at times but nothing to the point where I actually get sick and have to run to the toilet. I had some food aversions there for a while. Anything healthy like a salad or chicken breast sounded awful to me but a cheeseburger sure did sound good-which is so not like me to eat that way, but hey, I didn't care at this point.........anything to make me feel better. I've been super tired most days and try to take short naps when I can-however sometimes they turn into 2-3 hours naps! I feel like I'm getting over the hump of 1st trimester pregnancy yuckiness. I'm 10 weeks so I've got 3 more weeks to go before I hit my 2nd trimester and everyone says you get your energy back by then.

How we found out we were pregnant:
Well, we went out of town to visit some friends one weekend in April and I already knew I was a few days late but didn't think too much of it at this point. But I was feeling super bloated and uncomfortable the whole weekend which I thought was weird. And also, about a week or so earlier I noticed some spotting for a day but it only lasted that one day and that was it (so sorry if there's any guys reading this right now!) So I was talking to my friend Sally and she was asking when Leland and I thought we were going to be ready for kids and I was telling her that we were planning on trying this summer. At this point we weren't trying but we weren't trying to prevent it either (again, sorry if this is too much info) But I told her I was a few days late and she lit up thinking I might be pregnant and I told her about the spotting and she said that could be what's called implantation bleeding where the embryo cells attach to the uterus. So Sunday night when we got home from our trip, I had to know........so I took a test and it instantly told me it was positive. I couldn't believe it! Leland and I had previously talked about how this would be a terrible time to get pregnant because I would be due around Christmas, so I was shocked that it was positive to say the least! I went downstairs and showed Leland and he was in total denial. He thought we would have to have a doctor confirm it before we really knew. But I explained to him that you cannot get a false positive because it's detecting a hormone in the urine that you only have when you're prego, so I think when I explained that to him, he was like, oh wow.......but kind of still in denial. I think by the time I took the 3rd test over the next few days, he finally realized we really are pregnant! So at first we talked about how awful the timing was and we won't be able to go home for the holidays and how we'll always have to do birthday parties around the busiest time of year! But once it all sunk in, we were so elated! I don't care if I have this baby around Christmas, I just feel so very blessed that the Lord has given us such a gift.

1 comment:

The Cobbs said...

Melinda! I'm so excited for you both!!! I just randomly jumped to your blog and I'm so glad I did:) Hopefully you'll feel better soon....get lots of rest - and don't feel guilty about it:)